Skip to content
Museum

History

The people, structures and records that connect the site's different uses.

Cultybraggan was under construction in 1941 as a purpose-built prisoner-of-war camp. By May 1944 it was being used as a transit camp for German prisoners. A Red Cross inspection recorded 785 prisoners and a capacity of 4,500.

By 25 December 1944, 3,988 prisoners were held at the camp. A high proportion were classified as “black”: committed Nazis or men considered likely to cause trouble. That month Wolfgang Rosterg, a prisoner known to hold anti-Nazi views, was murdered by fellow prisoners. Five men were later convicted and executed.

The prisoner-of-war camp closed around May 1947. The site continued in military use as a training camp until 2004. Surviving huts, the secure accommodation block, plans, photographs and personal records provide evidence of those different periods.

In 2007 the community of Comrie bought the 90-acre former military camp. The museum now interprets its history on the site where it happened.

1941–1947

Prisoner-of-war camp

Built as a purpose-designed prisoner-of-war camp, Cultybraggan held 3,988 prisoners on 25 December 1944. A high proportion were classified as “black” prisoners. 90 Nissen huts now remain across the site.

1947–2004

Military training

After the prisoner-of-war camp closed, the site continued as a military training camp. Later additions included training facilities and civil-defence infrastructure.

2007

Community purchase

On 20 September 2007, Comrie Development Trust completed the £350,000 purchase of the 90-acre former military camp after a community ballot returned 97% support.

2007–Now

Working estate

The site now includes the Museum, self-catering huts, community facilities, businesses and working groups. The surviving structures remain part of the historical evidence.

Then and now

Now — community self-cateringThen — huts against the mountains
Then — huts against the mountains
Now — community self-catering

Surviving military structures and a hut adapted for current use.

The Jail Block — Hut 9

The museum is housed in the brick secure accommodation block. Original cell doors survive inside, alongside objects, photographs, documents and recorded accounts connected with the camp.

Displays in a nearby Nissen hut consider daily life from the perspectives of prisoners and British personnel. A collection of prisoner drawings is shown with personal accounts and material recovered from the site.